Mihail PopescuAssociate Professor
Office : HMI Department, 324 Clark Hall, Columbia, MO 65211
Phone : 573-882-1266
Email : email@example.com
Home DepartmentHealth Management and Informatics
Electrical and Computer Engineering
EducationPh.D. in Computer Science, University of Missouri, 2003
Lab URL:Site Link
OverviewMihail Popescu has received a MS in Medical Physics in 1995, a MS in Electrical Engineering in 1997 and a PhD in Computer Science in 2003 from the University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri. Dr. Popescu has published seven articles in refereed journals, 20 conference papers, one book, and one book chapter. His research focus has been on eldercare technologies, medical decision making, and epigenetic pattern discovery.
Research focusEldercare technologies, Medical decision making, Fuzzy logic
- INFO INST8870: Knowledge Representation in Biology and Medicine
- Theory and Applications of Ontologies in Biomedicine
Honors, Awards, and Appointments
- Dr. Popescu is a board member of the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Bioinformatics and Bioengineering Technical Committee (BBTC), and chair the Fuzzy Systems in Bioinformatics Task Force of the BBTC.
- M. Khalilia, S. Chakraborty, M. Popescu, "Predicting Disease Risks from Highly Unbalanced Data using Random Forest", BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 2011, 11:51.
- M. Popescu, G. Arthur, F. Rahmatpanah, O. Sjahputera, H. Shi, C. Caldwell and J. Keller, A minimum classification error framework suitable for multicriteria gene selection: discovery of differentially methylated genes in small B-cell lymphomas, in International Journal of Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2010; 274-296
- O. Sjahputera, J.M. Keller, K. Taylor, H. Shi, J. W. Davis, F. Rahmatpanah, D. T. Anderson, S.N. Blisard, R.H. Luke, Mihail Popescu, G.L. Arthur, and Charles W. Caldwell. Relational Analysis of CpG Islands Methylation and Gene Expression in Human Lymphomas Using Possibilistic C-Means Clustering and Modified Cluster Fuzzy Density, in IEEE Trans. Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Vol. 4, No. 2 , April-June 2007; 176-190
- J.M. Keller, J.C. Bezdek, Mihail Popescu, N. Pal, JA Mitchell, and J.M. Huband. Gene Ontology Similarity Measures Based on Linear Order Statistics, in International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-based Systems, Vol. 14, No. 6 2006; 639-661
- Mihail Popescu, J.M. Keller, and JA Mitchell. Fuzzy Measures on the Gene Ontology for Gene Product Similarity, in IEEE Trans. Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Vol. 3, No. 3 , July-September 2006; 1-11
- Mihail Popescu, P.D. Gader, and J.M. Keller. Fuzzy Spatial Pattern Processing Using Linguistic Hidden Markov Models, in IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 14, No. 1 , February 2006; 81-92
- N. R. Pal, J.M. Keller, Mihail Popescu, J.C. Bezdek, JA Mitchell, and J. Huband. Gene ontology-based knowledge discovery through fuzzy cluster analysis, in Neural, Parallel and Scientific Computation, Vol. 13, No. (3&4) 2005; 337-361